Car Wars – Post Apocalyptic Vehiclular Mayhem

Woot! Stumbled across our old Car Wars vehicles in an old dusty box in the roof space the other day. Brought back memories of when gaming was just innocent fun, something we’ve been searching and struggling to re-create for some time now. The cars were made out of clay. Cheap and not the sturdiest, but if they broke u could easily make more! We had a large stash of sculpture clay at our disposal and not being able to afford anything better we went with it. Now I’d probably use FIMO or similar to make them, something you could bake harden for extra durability. A lot of the cars in the shot are themed around New Zealand Speedway Stock Cars and we had heaps of fun with them, racing at NZADA santioned autoduel events at the Ozark raceway.

Q

Carwars header1 1200px

Advertisements

T29E2 Super Heavy Tank – Project 46′ 1/72nd kit from Cromwell Models

Another from our Project 46′ collection, this time a bit of allied heavy firepower, a T29E3 from Cromwell Models. Concieved in 1944 the T29 heavy tank was proposed to provide overwatch fire to the T26 mediums and as a direct counter the German and Soviet super heavy project tanks. The T29E3 variant fitted the 105mm T5E1 main gun and used the massive 274cm T31E1 rangefinder.

I finished this a while back but as usual is it ever finished? Well, no lol. I still have to add crew and some small details such as brush guards for the periscopes and lights. It’s intended to be part of a rapid deployment Marine Task Force and will have modified LVTs attached as APCs. Ok, I admit I’m not sure exactly how rapidly a 70t heavy battle tank could be deployed but I’m sure if the situation was desperate enough ways would be found ……..

Q

T29E3 Header 1200px
T29E3 h2 1200
T29E3 w97s 1100
T29E3 w94s 1100
T29E3  1100px1
T29E3 w985s 900
cu T29E3 w984CU 800
cu T29E3 w986s 800

Wips and progress shots ………

T29s w64s 900
T29s w234s 900
T29s w122s 900

Resin kit as supplied ………..

US T29E3 Heavy Tank r1 900

Airco DH2 – 1/48th Smer WW1 Airwargaming / Pulp and Victorian Sci-fi

Introducing Major Willy Handcock and his trusty DH2 “Saucy Sally the 3rd”. Victor of 10 aerial jousts, survivor of multiple landing accidents, Hero of the Croydon Ladies Speed Crochet Club and holder of the highly coveted award “Largest Naturally Grown Radish” at the annual Hampton Downs Spring Fete.

It’s an El-Cheapo Smer 1/48th Airco DH2 with Copplestone 28mm pilot built for a bit of fun “pulp style” airwargaming, using our own “Knights of the Sky” rule set.

Enjoy
Q

Airco DH2 test4
dh2-04 1200
dh2-02 1200
dh2-05 1200
dh2-06 1200
dh2-07 1200
dh2-03 1200

And as usual a few wip shots, just to prove that I didn’t buy it at Woolworths.

DH2 w-1
DH2 w-4

Post Apocalyptic Vehicle Madness – 1/24th Monogram Nascar Buick carwars conversion

Amongst other things I’ve been working on recently (some 40k stuff and some Napoleonics) is this little bit of stress relief, a post apocalyptic Car Wars inspired interceptor.

It’s based on a 1/24th Monogram Buick Regal Nascar Stock Car with a few necessary survival mods. It has a front ram bumper, rear nerf bars and coffin lid rear armour plate as well as added side plates. The suspension has been raised and the engine swapped for a dry sumped, mechanically fuel injected, 410cui Gearte/Ford Cleveland race engine from an old Sprincar kit. The seat has been made to fit a 1/35th figure so the car can be used with 1/35th modern figures and accessories.

It also gave me a chance to try out some new “chipping” techniques. As I don’t have an airbrush I had to experiment and came up with a process that almost mirrors the “hairspray chipping” process. It uses a silicone barrier layer and then a brush painted top coat instead of the universally sprayed on one. It’s not perfect but I’m reasonably happy and will try it out on an SdKfz7-1 I’ve got on the bench.

Enjoy …….

Q
NZADA Napier Branch

.
NZADA Header 1440px2
CW2 1200
cw210 1100
cw212 1100cw214 1100
cw 211 1100
cw213 1100

Heres a few wips from the construction process. As it was my first ever 1/24th car there was a fair bit of trial and error involved and I definately learnt a few tips and tricks for next time.

cw wip2 900
cw wip1 900

Primer coat. I sprayed this with a Tamiya rattlecan mainly because the lime green plastic needed some serious paint to cover it but it also gives a really strong base for the acrylic top coats to adhere too.

cw wip3 900
cw wip4 900

Base colours laid in using mainly GW acrylics. I also used Humbrol Silver to touch up small bits of the chrome.

cw wip5
cw wip7

Interior stuff, spares and junk added to give the inside some clutter. The body has been left loose so it can be removed to fit a driver for gaming. The engine still needs plug leads and fuel line plumbing.

cw wip9
cw cuwip1 800
cw cuwip2 800

A final shot with the first few weathering passes completed but before the mud and dust (MIG and homemade pigments) are applied. The black paint has been “chipped” by removing some of it with cotten buds dupped in solvent and then weathered and dulled down using inks and spot washes.

cw wip24 800