An old build revisited …….
One of my first attempted Project ’46 conversions was a bridgelayer based on a Tiger2 chassis, the Bruckenleger auf PanzerKampfwagen VI (Bridgelayer on TigerVI).
I originally used a Dragon Tiger2 as a base but made a mistake during building that caused me to abandon the build and in fact eventually break it up for parts. It was one of the early Tiger kits with the black tracks and they were too short and resisted glueing. SO after much pain and superglue I finally got them on, it was late at that stage (about 1.30am) so I went to bed feeling pretty happy that I’d won the track battle. When I looked at it the next morning I realised I’d managed to set the tracks too far to the outside of the roadwheels, with the guidehorns to the outside.
Not much of an error you say? Well it was to me, I was really steamed that I’d made such a noob error. So I tried to prise that tacks off. Carefully. Tried cutting them, managed to cut the track. Working and pulling at them managed to break off the tip of a roadwheel that was more attached to the track than to itself! Apparently I’d used a lot of superglue and it’d reacted with the vinyl tracks to create some sort of superbond. NASA should employ me as a chemist …..
Finally I decided (after repairing the cut track and broken roadwheel) to carry on and see if I’d still notice after paint. One of my “issues” is that I’m very picky with my own builds, especially as I don’t get much of my own stuff completed compared to builds I do for others (I’ve painted around 500 vehicles and countless historic figs). So I laid in the paint and got it to the basic camouflage and shade stage …. and yeah, the tracks still bugged the crap out of me. I stuck it on a shelf ….. and the tracks still mocked me with their …. trackiness. And so to cut a long and by now tedious story short – one day I broke it up for parts.
In my defence I’ve always wanted to build it again, and better. I think both my painting and detailing has improved and I should be able to make a better job. So when in a roundabout way the offer of a spare Tiger2 hull came up in conversation (many thanks to DaveL via the Missing-Lynx forum – you’re a true gent) I’ve finally got the opportunity to attempt a rebuild ……
And so the “new” Tiger Bruckenleger takes shape. I’m using a donated Revell Tiger hull and it’s the first time I’ve built one so I’m interested to compare it to it’s Dragon opposition. The Brdegelayer parts come from the old build and are originally sourced from the Revell Leopard “Biber” Bruckenleger kit. These bits are a bit “used” by now but will have to do as the price of a new donor kit would feed me for a week lol.
Below is the Revell hull with the center section cut out with a fret-saw. To be honest this is a pretty easy conversion with the replacing of the center hull sections being the only bit requiring some care and accuracy. I marked out the section with a pencil, cut close to the line with the saw the squared and adjusted the fit with a file.
Here’s the centre bridge lifting section in place. the gap on the front join with be hidden with a “weld” bead made from greenstuff. As I wanted to add some better detail this time I’m going to drill out and fit a replacement drivers hatch. I figured aligning the bridge would be a tricky job so the driver would most likely have his head out of the hatch.
I then fitted the bridge lifting arm, rear lifting jib and added the greenstuff weld beads. They’re a bit over-scale but will do the job under paint I think. Although difficult to see in these pretty average workbench pics, I also hollowed out the solidly moulded periscopes.
I’m going to have to make a decision before fitting the front spade. As the Tiger has it’s final drive mounted in the front (unlike the Leopard which is rear drive) the spade hydraulics can’t be fitted in there under armour and would require external rams. So I may run an armoured cover up the front hull and into the area where the MG kugelblend mount is, the theory being the hrydraulic powerpack replaces the bow mg and gunner. Then fit some rams and hoses to the jib …. or do it easy like I did the first time and just fit the spade as is ….
Finally here’s some pictures of my previous build so you can see where I’m heading with all of this …..
And it’s real modern day namesake …..