DAK Project …..
A couple of “big” pics from the finished project.
Perry AT-Portee finished ….
Finished the Perry Morris CS8 Bofors AT-Portee. Kept the finish plain as the vehicle is pretty busy anyway and Caunter would have been a bit tricky to pull off, plus most pics of Portee conversions show a basic sand finish. All in all a very attractive model and should look even better when the new owner add the crew ….
And the build wips pics. I added the white styrene mudguards and rebuilt the supports for the overhead stowage rack.
Finished pics ….
Ok, updated with a few group pics and a bit of a re-cap is in order.
The vehicles are ;
Blitzkrieg SdKfz 250/1C
Bliztkrieg SdKfz 222
Blitzkrieg Marder II
Perry SdKfz 250/1
Rubicon SdKfz 250/1
Perry Universal Carrier
Blitzkrieg M3 Stuart
Perry Marmon Harrington MkIII
Stowage is a mix of Perry, Rubicon and JTFM, decals used were from Warlord, Rubicon and Tamiya. Everything was given an enamel base/primer coat and all top finishing was brushed acrylics using GW and Vallejo. Final weathering was mostly Windsor and Newton oils with some homemade acrylic washes and finished with Mig and homemade pigment powders.
Almost there …….
Completed the basic shading on these guys and they’re starting to look the part. Only final detailing, AOS markings and some selective chipping to go now. Oh, and aerials with flags. The British desert forces loved aerials with pennant flags on them, all very boys own !!!!
A progression/SBS pic. Hopefully this gives some idea of how the layers of paint build up from the starting block colours to the final shading …
Caunter progress ….
First pass of the Caunter shading on and tracks, wheels and a few details blocked in. Still not 100% sure about the grey hued “Silver Grey”. While it looks attractive it tended to go blue when lightening and so I might either put a filter over it or tint it more towards the light-grey spectrum and re-paint.
Perry Marmon-Herrington MkIII, Bliztkrieg M3 Honey, Perry Universal-Carrier MkI ….
The mysterious Caunter Scheme 3colour Disruptive camouflage pattern takes shape. The base scheme is on the first three brit vehicles using HOQ paint renditions of Portland Stone, Slate and Silver Grey. All colours are base solids and will get lightened considerably, especially the Slate (which is a green – dark grey) and Silver Grey (which is a pea green – grey).
Should be interesting to see how they work out …..
Finalised the stowage and detailing on these three. Added tool clamps, a stowage bin, ammo crate and tarp, spare track and gun cradle to the MarderII. Put straps on the Perry 250/1 for the hanging bags using thread tape cut into fine strips, made a replacement MG shield and repositioned the gun mount back and down. The Rubicon 250 got an added Jerry can rack.
So they’re all ready for the final paint work now …
Just a little progress. the Perry 250 is looking a tad better with stowage and the base lining done.
Blitzkrieg MarderII ….
More from the DAK project. Blitzkrieg MarderII and Perry 250/1 with the base paint laid on.
The Blitzkrieg MarderII is quite a nice moulding for the most part with little of the 3D master lines a lot of Blitzkrieg kits have. The Pak40 mounting needed the sides filing back to fit so look up some reference pics if you’re assembling one. The gun barrel itself is a very (very) rough casting and despite being straightened 3 time with hot water/chilling refuses to stay completely straight. It’s looks a little big/thick too, over 1/48th in thickness compared to the Tamiya kits I have here. I’d replace it with something but I don’t have a muzzle brake, however with the above taking into account it’s going to look pretty nice when finished.
I also did a quick side by side comparison with the Perry 250/1 and Rubicon 250/1 halftracks. Suffice to say the Perry one is not a favourite of mine, (way off in shape and rough casting quality, mostly shape though). The front MG shield has to go as well, not sure what it’s doing so I’ll make a new shield and mount. I will save it with stowage and paint but …. not a recommended buy though (unlike Perry figures) 🙂
Perry vrs. Rubicon SdKfz250/1 halftrack comparison
Napoleonic madness …..
40mm Perry French Hussar Trumpeter. Gotta give these guys props for their uniforms. About 95% finished as the plan was to make some decals for the sabretache and bed roll, maybe one day. Also there’s a little “Queeg” interpretation of some colours because that’s how I roll.
Also included a pic of a few other random 40mm Perrys from the Queegs long-stalled 40mm skirmish project …. that’s another “maybe one day” thing.