Amongst other things I’ve been working on recently (some 40k stuff and some Napoleonics) is this little bit of stress relief, a post apocalyptic Car Wars inspired interceptor.
It’s based on a 1/24th Monogram Buick Regal Nascar Stock Car with a few necessary survival mods. It has a front ram bumper, rear nerf bars and coffin lid rear armour plate as well as added side plates. The suspension has been raised and the engine swapped for a dry sumped, mechanically fuel injected, 410cui Gearte/Ford Cleveland race engine from an old Sprincar kit. The seat has been made to fit a 1/35th figure so the car can be used with 1/35th modern figures and accessories.
It also gave me a chance to try out some new “chipping” techniques. As I don’t have an airbrush I had to experiment and came up with a process that almost mirrors the “hairspray chipping” process. It uses a silicone barrier layer and then a brush painted top coat instead of the universally sprayed on one. It’s not perfect but I’m reasonably happy and will try it out on an SdKfz7-1 I’ve got on the bench.
NZADA Napier Branch
Heres a few wips from the construction process. As it was my first ever 1/24th car there was a fair bit of trial and error involved and I definately learnt a few tips and tricks for next time.
Primer coat. I sprayed this with a Tamiya rattlecan mainly because the lime green plastic needed some serious paint to cover it but it also gives a really strong base for the acrylic top coats to adhere too.
Base colours laid in using mainly GW acrylics. I also used Humbrol Silver to touch up small bits of the chrome.
Interior stuff, spares and junk added to give the inside some clutter. The body has been left loose so it can be removed to fit a driver for gaming. The engine still needs plug leads and fuel line plumbing.
A final shot with the first few weathering passes completed but before the mud and dust (MIG and homemade pigments) are applied. The black paint has been “chipped” by removing some of it with cotten buds dupped in solvent and then weathered and dulled down using inks and spot washes.