Blitzkrieg MarderII – Project DAK wip4 “updated”

Updated …

Finalised the stowage and detailing on these three. Added tool clamps, a stowage bin, ammo crate and tarp, spare track and gun cradle to the MarderII. Put straps on the Perry 250/1 for the hanging bags using thread tape cut into fine strips, made a replacement MG shield and repositioned the gun mount back and down. The Rubicon 250 got an added Jerry can rack.

So they’re all ready for the final paint work now …

dak-rh-grp-030-1024

dak-rh-m2-040-800

dak-rh-p250-040-800

dak-rh-rubicon250-060-800

.
Detailing ….
Just a little progress. the Perry 250 is looking a tad better with stowage and the base lining done.

Q

dak-rh-grp-020-1024

dak-rh-m2-030-800

dak-rh-m2-036-800

Blitzkrieg MarderII and Perry SdKfz 250/1 comparison – Project DAK wip3

Blitzkrieg MarderII ….

More from the DAK project. Blitzkrieg MarderII and Perry 250/1 with the base paint laid on.

The Blitzkrieg MarderII is quite a nice moulding for the most part with little of the 3D master lines a lot of Blitzkrieg kits have. The Pak40 mounting needed the sides filing back to fit so look up some reference pics if you’re assembling one. The gun barrel itself is a very (very) rough casting and despite being straightened 3 time with hot water/chilling refuses to stay completely straight. It’s looks a little big/thick too, over 1/48th in thickness compared to the Tamiya kits I have here. I’d replace it with something but I don’t have a muzzle brake, however with the above taking into account it’s going to look pretty nice when finished.

I also did a quick side by side comparison with the Perry 250/1 and Rubicon 250/1 halftracks. Suffice to say the Perry one is not a favourite of mine, (way off in shape and rough casting quality, mostly shape though). The front MG shield has to go as well, not sure what it’s doing so I’ll make a new shield and mount. I will save it with stowage and paint but …. not a recommended buy though (unlike Perry figures) 🙂

Q

dak-rh-grp-010-800

dak-rh-m2-022-800

dak-rh-m2-020-800

dak-rh-m2-024-800

.
Perry vrs. Rubicon SdKfz250/1 halftrack comparison

dak-rh-perry-v-rubicon-250-800

dak-rh-perry-v-rubicon-250v3-800

dak-rh-perry-v-rubicon-250v2-800

Rubicon SdKfz250/1 – Project DAK wip2

Rubicon SdKfz250/1 …..

Buttoned the top up and did a little basic blending and shading. Probably wont do much more on this now until some of the other vehicles get to the same stage that way I can tweak the final finish if required to help them look more of a “group”. Also moved to headlights back into the correct or at least one of the correct mounting locations. I assume Rubicon moulded them to the top of the front plate for simplicity – ie being sort of close to the real mounting and to save having two separate fiddly lights to add. Looks much better to my eye now …

Q

dak-rh-rubicon250-052-1024

dak-rh-rubicon250-057-1024

dak-rh-rubicon250-059-1024

dak-rh-rubicon250-060cu-800

Rubicon SdKfz250/1 – Project DAK

Rubicon 250/1 …..

Just a quick look at the 1/56th Rubicon SdKfz250/1. I was in too much of a rush to get sprue pics but in summary it’s a pretty nice bit of kit. Very accurate overall in shape and with optional parts to build a 253 version. So I whipped on the base paint and though I’d try to get the look of the “hairspray” chipping technique that the big boys get to use i.e. those with airbrushes 😉 – but using my old faithful brushes.

Base paint was Humbrol Enamel Grey 27 for this as I figured laying down acrylics over enamel might allow me to rub off and distress the top coat a bit. Top was just some Vallejo desert colour, not sure which I just grabbed it for the experiment. Making it look worn turned out to be fairly quick and easy and I think it’s turned out pretty good so far. Bear in mind this is just the base paint, with a few more layers, touch ups, detailing and then usual washes/shading/dusting I think this should end up looking pretty ok.

Q

dak-rh-rubicon250-040-2-1024

dak-rh-rubicon250-042-2-1024

dak-rh-rubicon250-044-2-1024

dak-rh-rubicon250-048-1024